Saturday, February 14, 2009

Bushfire Blocks and Dear Jane

I have almost completed my 25 blocks for the Bushfire Quilt Project. I plan to mail them early next week. My mom is also making some blocks to send, so I will have to co-ordinate with here so we can mail our things together.

Here is the progress right now. All three pieces of the blocks made, just need to complete them, and sew the top together.

Bushfire Blocks

As mentioned in a previous post, I was contemplating what fabrics to use for my Baby Jane quilt. I made the decision that I want it to be fun, but not something too 'now' as far as my colour taste goes, since it will take a while to make, and I don't want to have that 'what was I thinking?' feeling when it is finished.

I've decided on Strawberry Jane. Colours are: Red, Bright Pink, Lighter Pink, Lime Green, and Bright Green with white background fabric. I began this project on January 25th, 2009 (the day before my 1 year wedding anniversary) and I'm hoping to complete it in 1 year. It may be a crazy goal, and I might need some cheerleading along the way, but I'd like to have it done for my quilt guild's show on Mother's Day Weekend 2010. Unless my machine quilting skills go through the roof between now and then, I will probably have it long arm quilted.

Here are my 13 Jane blocks so far with the date of completion for each block. I haven't worked on it for a week and a bit, because I was away at a retreat last weekend and worked on some other projects. And when I got back I heard about the horrible fires in Australia, and immediately started on my blocks for the Bushfire Quilt Project.

A8 - Florence Nightingale (02/01/09)

A8 - Florence Nightingale (02/01/09)

B-1 Batchelor Buttons (02/01/09)

B-1 Batchelor Buttons (02/01/09)

B-4 Chris's Soccer Field (01/29/09)

B-4 Chris's Soccer Field (01/29/09)

B-13 Four Corner Press (01/27/09)

B-13 Four Corner Press (01/27/09)

C-9 Jane's Tears (01/28/09)

C-9 Jane's Tears (01/28/09)

D-3 Jason's Jacks (01/31/09)

D-3 Jason's Jacks (01/31/09)

D-6 Challenge (01/27/09)

D-6 Challenge (01/27/09)

D-13 Field of Dreams (02/01/09)

D-13 Field of Dreams (02/01/09)

G-4 Shutter Bug (02/01/09)

G-4 Shutter Bug (02/01/09)
H-13 Farm Fields (02/01/09)

H-13 Farm Fields (02/01/09)

I-3 Family Album (02/01/09)

I-3 Family Album (02/01/09)

J-4 Adelaine's Apron Strings (01/29/09)

J-4 Adelaine's Apron Strings (01/29/09)

M-10 Simple Simon (01/25/09)

M-10 Simple Simon (01/25/09)

Stay tuned for more progress and a photo of my Minny Muu quilt that I'm making for ME. It's about time.

7 comments:

LauraJ said...

your piecing is impeccable! I commend you for taking on that project, I like looking at them and watching others take part but me I do'nt have the patience to do something so grand!
I took part in the bushfire quilt project as well. Your blocks are so happy!
Happy sewing!

LauraJ said...

ps~It's so nice to see a fellow Canadian!!

Robin said...

Gorgeous blocks! I love your idea for a Strawberry Jane-- it's going to be amazing. Best of luck on your year-long goal. I'll be rooting for you! :)

Sarah C said...

i really really really like the colors that you chose for your dear jane quilt. it is going to be really stunning when it is all completed.

I wouldnt dare show such up close photos of my piecing, but as mentioned, yours is absolutely amazing

Messy Karen said...

love your color choices and the fabrics you have chosen. your finished pieces are perfectly sewn.

byneedleandthread said...

Thanks ladies! I loved making the maverick stars! and the dear jane project has been very fun. It's a great project for someone who gets distracted easily. Every block is different!

Anonymous said...

I'm totally loving your Strawberry Jane colour scheme and fabric choices! Your quilt is going to look awesome when it's finished!